Dear Robert H. Smith School of Business Undergraduate Community:
My name is Jessica Ting and I serve as the Smith Undergraduate Student Association (SUSA) Vice President of Events for the 2016 calendar year.
We will be soliciting proposal submissions for two to three CLOSED Tracks for the SUSA New York Trip. Applications submitted for CLOSED Track consideration will be reviewed by SUSA and the Office of Career Services. CLOSED tracks are designed for special programs or departments within the business school and may not exceed 18 seats. A Smith faculty/staff can submit an application requesting to take up to 18 of their students on their own special track for the SUSA New York Trip, which will take place from Thursday November 3 to Friday November 4, 2016. These 18 students will be selected by the faculty/staff member completing the application, not SUSA. CLOSED Track faculty/staff applicants will select their desired faculty/staff track advisor and track leader. CLOSED Track Leaders will be required to attend the SUSA Training for Track Leaders. Please see below for the sample itinerary.
These new CLOSED Tracks will also be subsidized by the department/faculty/staff that submitted the application, meaning that they will have to pay SUSA a predetermined amount in order to take their students on this trip, which I will be able to provide you with after I finalize the budget. The cost will mainly cover transportation and lodging, which in past years has been heavily subsidized by SUSA. The track will also be responsible for contributing additional alumni for the alumni networking portion of the trip to ensure that their track is properly represented. The CLOSED Tracks will participate in all of the same activities and follow the same itinerary as the OPEN Tracks. The application will be due on Monday, May 2 and can be found here: closedtrackapp.susaumd.com.
The most crucial part of the application will be ensuring that the CLOSED track differs from all existing OPEN tracks. The CLOSED Track may not attend the same companies that an OPEN track is attending (previously attended track companies are provided below and may be subject to change). It is imperative that the CLOSED tracks use the descriptions provided below to ensure that they are significantly different and their goals do not overlap. Tracks will be assessed on their individuality and their intent to attend the New York trip.
As a closed track, this is what you can expect:
SUSA will provide:
- Hotel and transportation logistics
- Organization of alumni networking event
- Facilitate collection of payment from student attendees
- Overall marketing for the SUSA NY trip
Closed Track Department or program will provide:
- Select track leader and assist track leader in finding companies
- Promote the closed track to students
- Select students attending the track
- Pay the predetermined amount to hold the track
Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Confirmed Open Tracks for the 2016 SUSA NY Trip
- Previously attended companies | Anchin Block & Anchin, KPMG, EY
- This track will explore financial reporting in the areas of audit and tax. Students attending this track may be interested in financial planning, budgeting, accounting systems, financial management controls, financial analysis of performance, financial reporting, internal and external auditing, and taxation.
- Previously attended companies | Deloitte, PwC, McGladrey
- This track will explore the provision of professional advice to clients in industry specific sectors. Students attending this track may be interested in problem-solving, business transformation, and progression.
- Previously attended companies |CBS, Crush Management, NBC, Universal Music Group
- This track will explore the marriage between business and the various components of the media. Students attending this track may be interested in management, contracts and negotiation, and legality.
- Previously attended companies | Bain Capital Ventures, First Round Capital, Twitter
- This track will focus on what it takes to create and grow a successful business. Students attending this track may be interested in management, developing a business model, personal branding, innovation, and design thinking.
- Previously attended companies | Credit Suisse, Evercore Partners, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley
- This track will focus on management, allocation, and budgeting of financial resources. Students attending this track may be interested in mergers and acquisitions, financial analysis and management, investment analysis and portfolio management, investment banking, insurance and risk management, banking, and international finance.
- Previously attended companies | Pepsi, Civic Entertainment Group
- This track will focus on combining creativity and analytics in order to market goods to consumers. Students attending this track may be interested in brand management, advertising, consumer behavior, and sales.
7. Business Analytics
- Sample Companies | Bloomberg, Facebook, SAS
- This track is a new addition for 2016, and was created because it fills a great need within the Smith undergraduate community. It will focus on how companies can leverage the data that they have to achieve a competitive advantage in their industry. Students attending this track may be interested in predictive modeling, data mining, and dashboarding, and business intelligence.
Tentative Itinerary for SUSA NY Trip 2016
Thursday, November 3
8:15 am Arrive at VMH
9:00 am Load buses and depart for NYC
2:00 pm Arrive in NYC
2:00 pm Lunch and free time in the city
4:00 pm Check into hotel/rooms
5:15 pm Meet in hotel lobby
6:00 pm Alumni Networking Night, business casual attire
8:00 pm Free time
Friday, November 4 – Business Casual or Professional attire for company visits
Before 9:15 am Eat breakfast, check out of your room, store luggage
9:15 am Meet in hotel lobby—depart for company A
10:00 am Company A
11:30 am Lunch and travel
12:30 pm Company B
2:00 pm Travel
2:30 pm Company C
4:30 pm Meet in hotel lobby
6:00 pm Leave for College Park