Dear Smith Students:
My name is Jessica Ting, and I am the Vice President of Events for the Smith Undergraduate Student Association. Thank you for your interest in applying to be a track leader for the SUSA New York trip 2016.
The annual SUSA New York trip allows all business undergraduate students an equal opportunity for initial exposure to various corporate companies and business cultures. Through the SUSA New York trip, students are able to explore a variety of fields that closely align with their career goals, meet and network with professionals and Smith alumni, and gain general insights into the life of a business professional. The trip is anticipated to occur from Thursday November 3 to Friday November 4, 2016.
For this year’s trip we have seven tracks that you apply to be a track leader for: Accounting, Consulting, Entertainment, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Marketing, and Business Analytics. In addition, we also have an Executive Track Leader position, who will oversee the Track Leaders.
Track Leaders (TL) are designated undergraduate students assigned to oversee one of the seven open tracks. Responsibilities include:
- Attend the TL orientation webconference, date TBD.
- Select and contact the companies that are to be visited during the trip.
- Be a liaison between the companies and SUSA.
- Work closely with the faculty advisor to ensure that the track participants are engaged, active, and enjoying themselves.
The Executive Track Leader is an undergraduate student who will provide support to track leaders in securing companies. Responsibilities include:
- Attend the TL orientation webconference, date TBD.
- Communicate closely with TLs to keep track of which companies are solidified.
- Work with TLs to create the schedule of visits on Friday.
- Assist in marketing efforts of the trip in the fall.
Please see below for details about the open tracks, along with a tentative itinerary for the SUSA NY 2016 trip.
To apply, please fill out this short application (TLapp.susaumd.com), and submit your resume to email@example.com. The application is due May 2, 2016. Please reach out with any questions you may have.
Confirmed Open Tracks for the 2016 SUSA NY Trip
- Previously attended companies | Anchin Block & Anchin, KPMG, EY
- This track will explore financial reporting in the areas of audit and tax. Students attending this track may be interested in financial planning, budgeting, accounting systems, financial management controls, financial analysis of performance, financial reporting, internal and external auditing, and taxation.
- Previously attended companies | Deloitte, PwC, McGladrey
- This track will explore the provision of professional advice to clients in industry specific sectors. Students attending this track may be interested in problem-solving, business transformation, and progression.
- Previously attended companies |CBS, Crush Management, NBC, Universal Music Group
- This track will explore the marriage between business and the various components of the media. Students attending this track may be interested in management, contracts and negotiation, and legality.
- Previously attended companies | Bain Capital Ventures, First Round Capital, Twitter
- This track will focus on what it takes to create and grow a successful business. Students attending this track may be interested in management, developing a business model, personal branding, innovation, and design thinking.
- Previously attended companies | Credit Suisse, Evercore Partners, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley
- This track will focus on management, allocation, and budgeting of financial resources. Students attending this track may be interested in mergers and acquisitions, financial analysis and management, investment analysis and portfolio management, investment banking, insurance and risk management, banking, and international finance.
- Previously attended companies | Pepsi, Civic Entertainment Group
- This track will focus on combining creativity and analytics in order to market goods to consumers. Students attending this track may be interested in brand management, advertising, consumer behavior, and sales.
7. Business Analytics
- Sample Companies | Bloomberg, Facebook, SAS
- This track is a new addition for 2016, and was created because it fills a great need within the Smith undergraduate community. It will focus on how companies can leverage the data that they have to achieve a competitive advantage in their industry. Students attending this track may be interested in predictive modeling, data mining, and dashboarding, and business intelligence.
Tentative Itinerary for SUSA NY Trip 2016
Thursday, November 3
8:15 am Arrive at VMH
9:00 am Load buses and depart for NYC
2:00 pm Arrive in NYC
2:00 pm Lunch and free time in the city
4:00 pm Check into hotel/rooms
5:15 pm Meet in hotel lobby
6:00 pm Alumni Networking Night, business casual attire
8:00 pm Free time
Friday, November 4 – Business Casual or Professional attire for company visits
Before 9:15 am Eat breakfast, check out of your room, store luggage
9:15 am Meet in hotel lobby—depart for company A
10:00 am Company A
11:30 am Lunch and travel
12:30 pm Company B
2:00 pm Travel
2:30 pm Company C
4:30 pm Meet in hotel lobby
6:00 pm Leave for College Park